Thursday, November 12, 2009

CTW: first student

Today is my ninth day here at CTW and it's my first day I lead a 1:1 duplo class at the workshop. Compared to the other day I led a group duplo at LLC, leading a 1:1 duplo class is much more different and challenging than I expected. With a group of students, time goes by fast and filled. With just one student, time management becomes crucial. And this is the lesson I learned today.
My student today is named Christopher. Overall, the class ran well during the powerpoint part and he was able to follow throughout the building process and correct at his mistakes. Some difficulites popped up along the way...like the beginning started too quick (Christopher said he didn't want to look at the computer and wanted to start building) and we ended up finished building with still half an hour left where I needed to think of what else to do to fill the time. The child was also not very responsive sometimes to questions (mom did say he isn't very use to English and might get shy to people speaking English to him). But his building skills was okay and he was able to follow my instructions, only avoiding eye contact most of the time. I suppose Clown Eyes was too easy for him (age 4) and more challenging models should be used for him next class so he doesn't finish building so quick with so much time left for me to figure out what to do with him.
As for his language skills, during the class he was able to understand simple English (such as colours, numbers, length: long/short) and able to respond with one or two words. He was able to read and write the alphabets. I suppose next class more English can be incorporated into the lesson.

So the challenges that I faced today were: first of all, it was the first lesson and (on top of that) mom was sitting at the a spot where she could directly see me and her child (should sit on the other side of the table next time); next, need to note the level of child's capability (so he wouldn't finish too quick) and topics that might interests him (to enable me to ask more questions for him to think and answer); also, the issue of guns and killing.

No comments:

Post a Comment